Monday, October 6, 2008

Gloria Anzaldua

"Language is twin skin to identity." I agree completely. However, I think the same could be said about any trait that someone posesses. Your identity is who you are, how you act, what you say, what you wear, the color of your skin, where you live, and every other aspect of what you are. Language specifically is one of the biggest definitions of identity because it is the most common form of communication. We use language everyday to transfer information from our brains to other people. Our identity is shaped by our experiences in life up to the present time, therefore our language is based upon personal experience. I can't empathize at any other level than my own when it comes to personal attacks on my language. "Minorities" have had a difficult time in America historically because their native languages weren't spoken here originally. I've never had English thrown back in my face as a language that shouldn't be spoken, so it's wrong for me to say that Anzaldua is being over sensitive about her language. I think this: say what you think and speak how you want, you never have to take heed to other people's judgements.

No comments: