Monday, October 6, 2008

James Baldwin

I have the same thoughts on this essay as all the rest. Language is a barrier if it is not understood. Yes, black people were mistreated by white people. I have no other thoughts about that historical prejudice. The title of Baldwin's essay is "If Black English isn't a language, then tell me, what is?" You tell me Mr. Baldwin, who says Black English isn't a language? It seems to me that Baldwin is struggling to connect with an African-American culture in America that is positive. Mexicans have Spanish, Americans have English, but he wants Black Americans to have their own language. THEY DO! Everyone does! That's the beauty of it Mr. Baldwin, you can speak any language you want and call it your own. Maybe my ignorance is getting in the way of the point of this essay, but I'm pretty sure it's another attempt at separating your race further by defining something that's already defined. You speak your language, I speak mine. They're both recognized as languages. The first line in the essay: "The argument concerning the use, or the status, or the reality, of black English is rooted in American history and has absolutely nothing to do with the question the argument supposes itself to be posing." WTF? You've made your point. Black people created their own language because of white people. Got it.

No comments: